The biggest limitation you will face in getting something off the ground is your mind. Our minds will tell us lies, it will make us think we are unqualified, and it will make us convinced we will never be ready. But the key to success is this: Start with what’s in your hands.
As humans, we want security. It’s in our nature. We want to know all of the details and how everything will play out and avoid failure at all costs. You don’t need to compare and compete with where everyone else is. Your journey begins with what you already have, and what you have is enough. And as leaders, we will never graduate from learning, from taking risks and living outside our comfort zones.
One of the best ways to avoid getting overwhelmed is to just take step #1. You don’t have to know how to do step #10 at first. Just take one step, and that will lead to the next. Before you know it, you will be doing things you could’ve never imagined.
Here are 5 things that often hold us back before we even begin:
- Unrealistic expectations — thinking it needs to happen in our own timing and overnight
- Fear — fear of failure, fear of man, fear of it not going the way we thought
- Comparison — comparing our step #1 with someone else’s step #10
How can we overcome these fears and hindrances?
Here are 3 steps to take:
- Seek wisdom. Go to someone you trust and ask them to offer their wisdom and perspective into your ideas and dreams.
- Pray. Ask God to give you insight into what is in your hands and what it looks like for you to get started.
- Take action. The biggest way we can overcome a hindrance is to move in the opposite spirit of fear by taking action. Just get started!
Remember, you have something the world needs. They need your ideas. Don’t let them sit on the shelf. Pull it down, get wisdom, and take action! You will never regret it. If you don’t say yes, someone else will. If you don’t start now, then when? Take time to dig deep and ask yourself what you really want. It’s never too late to get started on a new dream, launch that business, or take that step. The time is now!